This is the Stage (Week) Two of our Introduction to Embedded Systems Design.
They are offered in two consecutive weeks.
Physics and Electronic with Robotics — Grade 8-12
Go here to view description of Stage One.
This workshop is a continuation from Stage one. It is meant for those who have at least some basic
experience with embedded systems like the Arduino Uno and Raspberry Pi.
The objective of this course is to further the hardware/engineering skills necessary to eventually
develop an independent project with the hardware/circuits/PCBs that you created in Stage One.
Anticipated Engineering Learning Outcomes:
- Learn the ins-and-outs of the Arduino UNO and how to create your own circuit designs that will
be just as easy to program but will be more reliable, faster, and functional.
- Communicate between different uC’s that are programmed to be optimized for just one task
such as driving encoders.
- Learn to use discrete components to replace the need for software tasks that would cause
latency (hardware debounce w/ RC circuits, 555 timer instead of interrupt).
- Learn to use OLED display enabling you to interact with a project in a more direct way.
- Basic concepts of real time operating systems and how hardware design can negate the
need for pricey processors/workstations with the same results.
- *Create a basic graphic user interface and controls so you don’t need a laptop to get
data from or change settings of your project.
- Hook up with an existing robot chassis to test out the final design.
- Will require 2 letters of recommendation before approval into the program.
- High Proficiency in Algebra I and Grade 8+ Reading and Writing Skills.
- Must love mathematics and solving complex problems.
- Must love analytical and creative thinking.
- Must be willing to work with at least one partner.
- Must have completed Stage One or equivalent.
Take Home :
- You will bring home a working robot with motors, motor shields, etc. with your own controller.
- Your own engineering portfolio to reflect your work/project.
In September, 3 students with the BEST Online Portfolios will be announced and receive a prize. Please contact us for more details.